Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Journaling

It's time! One of the chapters of "The Secret of the Secret Place" is the secret of journaling. Bob Sorge is committed to maintaining a spiritual journal for stewardship reasons. Jesus said, "For whoever has, to him more will be given" (Mark 4:25). He says that when God teaches us something, we must properly manage it by writing it down and revisiting that truth until it's woven deeply in our lives.

No problem, I've got 70 journals.

Well, yes, problem.

He says, "The only way I can keep returning to the things He's given me in the past is by writing them down in a journal in such a way that I can refer back to them in the future."

I have 70 journals, but I can't find anything in them. Here's Bob Sorge's idea:

"Let me tell you a bit about my journal. It is kept in my computer. This works much better for me than a paper journal. After typing my journal entries, I will often categorize them in my computer according to topics or themes."

So today I began the huge job of typing up the journal entries I want to keep. That should keep me out of trouble for a couple of years!

So far my topics are:
Africa
Change
Do it now
Madeline
Ministry
Money
Obedience

I'll give you one example. I'll randomly choose money. Here's what I've got so far--

“Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle. “ Prov. 23:4-5

“The person who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the person who sows generously will also reap generously.”

“God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” 2 Cor. 9

“You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.”

Richard Foster on Simplicity--
“There are those who are called to the ministry of money, The gift of giving is a vital and valid spiritual gift, and essential to it is the task of using money for the common good.

Simplicity always calls us to a simple lifestyle, but it does not always call us to a reduction of income. God calls some to increase their income in order to use it for the good of all. This work is usually engaged in by ordinary people with limited budgets. The requirement is not great resources, but a humble willingness to be an unhindered channel.”

“Everything we have we receive as a gift, and everything we have is cared for by God, and everything we have is available to others when it is right and good.”

“By the act of the will we must still every motion that is centered in greed.”

“We make provision as it seems right and good (just as the birds do) but what comes to us is not so much the result of our labor as it is the gracious gift of God. We live the carefree life of unconcern for possessions.”

“He who has 2 coats, let him share with him who has none, and he who has food likewise. Small, simple items that accent the welfare of others.”


Part of it is scripture, and part of it is some notes I took on a book I really liked.

One hour down, two zillion to go!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:13 PM , Blogger laurajo said...

    that sounds like a huge task. Good Luck. Love ya.

     
  • At 10:32 PM , Blogger Annette said...

    I'm actually jealous of your writing and organizing skills - an area I am going to have to improve in!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home