Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Monday, December 18, 2006

Still losing!

I lost almost a pound last week (.8 to be exact), and I'm happy about that, even though doing it meant I've suffered greatly emotionally! I'll cut and paste part of my update to my online support group so you'll understand what I mean.

I’ve been overwhelmed by stress/depression lately due to a lot of major life events hitting me all at once. I’m retiring in 2 days from a career in education. I’m moving my 88-year-old mother from Little Rock to a retirement home near my home in 9 days. At Christmastime I always miss my only grandchild who died. And my very best friend (a pastor’s wife who doesn’t live here anymore) and I couldn’t find a mutual time for a Christmas visit for the first time in 21 years. Also, I’m having serious insomnia, and being bone-tired makes things seem worse than they really are! I cried a lot Saturday (between trips to 5 furniture stores buying furniture for my mother’s new apartment), and during the sleepless night it occurred to me (or perhaps God revealed to me) that the reason I’m so emotional is that I’m not self-medicating with food anymore, so I have to actually FEEL every FEELING!

Things are better now! The church services yesterday really blessed me, and I actually slept last night! Woohoo!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Spring said...

    I am sorry you're having such a hard Christmas. It's a really wierd one for a lot of people this year. I hear ya on the feeling thing. In the past I felt nothing, I simply ate, smoked, and sometimes drank my frustrations away. It's a whole other ballgame when you actually have to deal with stuff without your crutch. I still find myself wanting a smoke on occassion when I'm just about to blow my top. Stick with it..... we're all rootin' for ya!

     
  • At 6:23 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Thanks! It's nice to have a friend who understands!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home