Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Friday, February 16, 2007

NO PAIN, NO GAIN


OK, bloggerbuddies, this is a little deep, but I'm pondering something I read by John Fischer (in italics) about the PROBLEM OF PAIN.
What is YOUR perspective?

Perspective 1--“Sometimes the going will get tough, and in those times you need to remember that your faith will get you through and something good will come out of hardship. Hang in there, this will soon be over.”

Perspective 2--“Get use to it. Pain, suffering, and hardship are necessary for growth. They will be constant companions to those who desire to know and love God deeply. Get ready for the long haul. If you’re feeling good and life is relatively painless, that’s the abnormal experience, not the norm. Enjoy it, but don’t expect it.”

One says that suffering is a glitch on the spiritual map, a storm one can weather, a malfunction easily corrected with a certain degree of patience and determination. This perspective believes that there exists a “normal” state for a believer that is relatively comfortable and risk-free. (We like that thought, don't we, bloggerbuddies?)

But in reality, this perspective is unbiblical and actually lines up more with a culture that treats discomfort as something we deserve to have alleviated. Multi-billion dollar industries are dedicated to creating and maintaining this myth, and convincing us all that the good life is attainable with, of course, the help of the product being touted. In other words, “normal” is just around the corner.

The other perspective is much more in keeping with reality and the belief that our real purposes go way beyond this life and this present darkness.


It is a perspective that expects hardship and pain to be a part of the day-to-day program. If we are waiting for anything, we are waiting for eternity with Christ, not for everything to get better here on earth.

This is not about being pessimistic, although it might sound like it. It’s about being realistic and learning how to find joy in the midst of even the most difficult things. Getting “normal” right is half the battle.

As a new Christian 30-something years ago, I took Phil. 3:10 as my life's verse: "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his suffering..." Of course, I didn't know how hard suffering would BE, but I've got to admit I DID sign up for it!


The power of his resurrection is the good part. The fellowship of his suffering just plain HURTS! But since I grow most during times of suffering, I want to get to the point where I willingly embrace the hard things God sends into my life.

That's what I'm working on right now....

3 Comments:

  • At 5:33 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    I think that's awesome, thanks for sharing, and good luck. And yes, it's what we all signed up for.....the good and the bad looking upward and onward for our eternal reward, as undeserving as we are. :)

     
  • At 5:42 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Thanks, Julie, for understanding. I know some people wouldn't, like Mike Shaw, whom I love dearly!

     
  • At 9:59 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Hey Kathy, just in case you didn't know, I've started a new blog.
    It's juliesasohit.blogspot.com
    Check it if ya want. C-ya Sunday.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home