Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Second Calling

OK, Annette and Carol and anyone else at a crossroads! I've just finished reading "Second Calling: Finding Passion and Purpose for the Rest of Your Life" by Dale Hanson Bourke, who was a superwoman-type business executive, also editor of Today's Christian Woman at one time, currently volunteering with groups like World Vision and International Justice Mission.

These things really spoke to me:


ABOUT GETTING OLDER--

God, as it turns out, doesn't really care if we are sagging or graying or aching. In God's economy, the fact that we are becoming less physically attractive may be just the way he wants us. God is mostly concerned with one aspect of us: our hearts. He wants them to be in tip-top shape. He wants them strong, responsive and enthusiastic.

WHAT REALLY MATTERS--

To come to a place where I must slow down a bit and consider what I'm doing is a gift from God. I don't want to waste any more time running after "the good that is not the best," as Oswald Chambers puts it.

It's not a loss of ambition; it's a willingness to find a new identity and to let that identity be defined by a holy calling rather than what other people believe you should be doing. What strikes me is how counterintuitive this sense is. Few decisions made in our second stage of life represent a natural progression toward what has been built in the first half of life. It's as if we have to completely turn our backs on our first-half identities in order to invest fully in our second callings.

One of the most surprising aspects of this new season of my life is a strange disinterest in goal setting. My goal setting has often been replaced by praying and a profound sense that if God doesn't set my goal, it isn't worth achieving. Prayer is our passport to the greatest adventure of our lives. If we do nothing else in the second half of life, we must learn to pray. In fact, I am beginning to believe that prayer itself is our primary calling. Everything else is just gravy.

I'm excited about what God is going to do with my life when I retire, but I think the thing that hit me the hardest was this quote: "The Christian life can only be lived in the present." I need to quit trying to figure out what my future holds. When people ask me what I'm going to do when I retire, which happens EVERY DAY, I guess I'll just say that I'll know when God tells me! I have a couple of visions that could be God-given, but time will tell. I don't even NEED to know right now...

7 Comments:

  • At 10:02 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    what if I never retire? Do I still reach the 2nd half of my life and get a 2nd calling? I agree about prayer being our primary call. Wow. What a concept!

     
  • At 10:07 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    Oh, just read ME's comments. My friends' nickname for me in HS was Meeshelle..I am not sure why (who can figure out anything in HS anyhow!). Although I do know that when I went to Europe, all I heard was "Meeshelle, ma belle..." that and we would all love singing Yellow Submarine. Now, it's great b/c my girls love it too!!

     
  • At 10:16 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    I guess you'll have a pretty long wait, but eventually you'll have an empty nest and then it will FINALLY be time for your second calling!

    I think ME was pretty horrified the other day when I told him I had to get rid of my entire Beatles collection when I got saved (too many memories of my wild days attached to those songs). I told him if I'd known he'd want them, I would have saved them for him. (Ha! He wasn't even BORN then!)

     
  • At 2:18 PM , Blogger Annette said...

    I love the quotes from the book - I want it when I come to NOW!!!! But maybe someone else can read it in between! I like the concept of just living each day and doing what I felt like He told me at IWI - Follow me! - So, here we go into the hurricane and never bored and I'm so thankful for that!

     
  • At 3:55 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Yeah, the hurricane is where the Spirit blows most freely, and you can't plan for a hurricane very far in advance!

    Isn't it funny how hard it is to live one day at a time?

     
  • At 5:08 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Yeah, Carol, I figured you were getting that question a lot, too, and I'm much in prayer for God to show you clearly what his plan for you is!

    Meanwhile, you are my inspiration for the "one day at a time" thing, did you know that?

     
  • At 10:38 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Carol,

    Are you kidding? Sometimes I wonder if your life is a cosmic drama like Job's. No matter what Satan throws at you, you always keep your faith!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home