Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Monday, July 31, 2006

You've Got to Have Friends!!!

Here's another excerpt from the "Second Calling" book:

I remember a time when a woman I barely knew at work asked to go to lunch with me and then blurted out that she wished she had more friends. I remember nearly choking on my sandwich as I tried to encourage her to get out, take a class...anything but look at me as a potential friend. I was working so hard at that point that just going out for lunch was a burden. Even my longtime friends were feeling neglected during that time. I would sometimes call them during my long commute; otherwise, they were lucky to hear from me for months. I finally told the woman that I made a lousy friend, looked at my watch, and said I needed to get back to work.

Now I see how confused I was about the priorities of life. I wish someone had told me that if I was too busy for friends, then I was too busy.

And THAT is why I ate lunch after church today with Susan, Carol, Brenda and Sandy, and why I conversed a couple of times by email with Annette and Laura this afternoon, and why I'm taking a day off tomorrow to spend time with Lisa and her girls.

IF I'M EVER TOO BUSY FOR FRIENDS, I'LL BE TOO BUSY!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:58 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

    I think that's awesome! What's crazy is that that majority of people I talk to are under the assumption that I am too busy for friends. I have said before... never assume anything about anyone's schedule, it's not fair. I echo the fact..if I am too busy for friends that I am just too busy and need to slow down in the first place. As ME would say... goodonya!

     
  • At 10:36 AM , Blogger Annette said...

    Wow - somehow I missed this blog - wow - this is my favorite one yet!!!! FRIENDS are LIFE!!!!! Even Jesus said, Now you are my FRIENDS!!!! Friends are so important - I agree - we should never be too busy for them!!!! I love you my best friend, Kathy and all the other friends God has given me - Wow!

     
  • At 2:09 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Yeah, I figured you'd like that, Annette! You're the one who taught me friendship, after all!

    I hate to think of how empty and unhappy my life could have turned out if you hadn't moved to Johnson County to teach me that!

    And it's also cool knowing that I can sustain a long-distance friendship--20 years and counting!

    Thanks, sweetie!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home