Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Friday, September 22, 2006

Heaven On My Mind

I've got heaven on my mind tonight because I went to a funeral today.

Dickie Jones was someone I've known since we went to college together here in Clarksville. I remember living in McLean Hall, an ancient dorm (even then!) with windows that actually had removable screens. One night Dickie hoisted Joe up to my second floor window so he could give me a kiss, and then he yelled up and said, "Hey, Kathy, do you want to be Homecoming Queen?" Well, I was much more the hippie type (after all, it WAS the 60s!) than the "queeny-type," but I said, "Well, OK, I guess," and the next thing I knew, I was wearing a floor-length gown and a crown. Bizarre, huh?

Dickie was younger than I am. That'll make you start thinking about eternity. So in the spirit of my mood, I'm going to post something from John Fischer again. He's comparing the five purposes we learned about during our 40 Days of Purpose, to our purposes in heaven:

For starters, worship is a no-brainer. Of course we will be doing that! Most of the biblical pictures of heaven have the saints and angels gathered around the throne worshiping God. In the same way, fellowship will be sweet. This is, in fact, the main reason we were created: We were an idea in the mind of God and we were made in his image so he could relate to us and us to him, and then us to each other. And this fellowship will be enhanced by the removal of the barrier of sin. There will be nothing to hide; everything will be out in the open. We will know and be known.

But what about growth? How will we grow spiritually in heaven? Of course some of this is speculation, but I would imagine growth would come in the form of experiences and adventure in God’s vast universe. And I would venture to guess that universe wouldn’t be static, either.

And why not think that we will still be serving one another? Are we going to get to heaven so we can be served? Will we each have our own personal valet? Will the angels wait on us hand and foot? I would guess that we would just keep right on serving each other, only doing it perfectly and working together with the same gifts and the same interrelatedness we found on earth. And even mission plays a role, if you believe that God’s work in the world continues into eternity.

The way I learned it in Sunday school, it seemed that once we get to heaven, everything will be over. Nothing more to do. Does that sound like God – the God who doesn’t waste any of our experiences here on earth but uses everything to mature and perfect us? Is this all so we can sit around on clouds reminiscing?

“If the master returns and finds that the servant has done a good job … [he] will put that servant in charge of all he owns.” (Luke 12:43-44 NLT) Don’t lose sight of the fact that the little things you do now will turn into big opportunities in eternity.

I'm really missing Dickie tonight. I'm also missing the E's, who have gone to Branson. However, I'm holding their dog for ransom, so I'm sure I'll see them tomorrow. As for Dickie, I can only hope. I wouldn't feel so sad if I knew for sure...

5 Comments:

  • At 12:16 AM , Blogger Annette said...

    Do you miss me, too? I've been gone to a wonderful, but grueling trip to Ft. Benning to see my son, Nathan, graduate from a respectable government institution - which we are very happy about. He seems so happy and purposeful and the Army values seem very awesome - We really do need to keep our armed forces in prayer - these are perilous times. But thank God, He is in control!!!!

     
  • At 12:47 AM , Blogger Annette said...

    I am sorry about your friend - how did he die? How old was he? Wow -that will make you think - I think the Army situation makes these younger people think about their mortality - it was neat, because all the families were really emotional and our family seemed to voice how they really felt about each other easier than normal. I am very proud of my son and pretty soon - I will send pictures - you won't believe what he looks like!

     
  • At 11:17 AM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Glad the trip went well. (I'm used to you being on trips!) Keep praying about Africa, ok?

    Nathan is a real miracle! Remember in his druggie days when he was interested in the Rainbow people? He was so anti-establishment that it's hard to imagine him in the Army, but God did it! He has a precious heart for God and he's a great daddy.

    Dickie had just turned 56. He had recently developed heart problems, but he went to work Wednesday and then had an attack. They lost him in the helicopter on the way to Little Rock. When I saw his wife at the funeral and just hugged me and said "Oh, Kathy." She may have been remembering that I had suffered a loss, too. I hope to be able to minister to her.

     
  • At 11:58 AM , Blogger Surgeart said...

    check out my friend Toney's blog http://passionateaboutjesus.blogspot.com/

    he is just getting started in blogging so go help him out a little.

    Jacob

     
  • At 12:47 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Will do, Jacob! Thanks for posting! Come back, ok?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home