Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Holding On For Dear Life

I didn't write this, but I could have!

It's an excerpt from a longer piece by John Fischer, who writes a daily newsletter for Purpose-Driven Life.

In an interview once, a pastor asked me to put my relationship with God on a scale of one to 10 – 10 being warm, close, and in fellowship. I thought about the apparent arrogance of putting this at a 10, but then I realized 10 was the right answer, not because I had arrived at some superior spiritual status that warrants it, but because I live a life of such quiet desperation that I am constantly in relationship with God out of necessity. I am conscious of God all the time because I have to be or I fly apart at the center. I have nothing to hold onto without him. I know myself well enough to know that if I am not living my relationship with God at a “10,” I am living in some form of lie or denial. My need for him is the bedrock truth of the matter.

If some of you find this alarming, then read Psalms, because I have just described the essence of David’s sentiment as expressed in his prayers and poems. Over and over again, his soul cries out to God, he is in a dry and thirsty land, he waits patiently for the Lord, and the Lord hears him and brings him comfort.
You don’t have to be perfect to be a “10” in your relationship with God, holding on for dear life will also do the trick.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM , Blogger Spring said...

    That's really good. The word "thirsty" is reallt speaking to me lately.
    Love Ya!

     
  • At 6:16 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Spring, I've noticed that the Holy Spirit seems to deal with you like he often deals with me, giving us one word to ponder and then putting that word in front of us multiple times and places. I like that, don't you?

    I love you, too, sweetie! You are a treasure to me!

     
  • At 7:41 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    It's great how God deals with us on all sorts of levels. I think I agree with the hanging on for dear life part of this story. If you have never held onto Him for dear life, I would like to know how you get out of that experience so softly. There are times, especially looking back, that is was ONLY the LORD who kept me sane and alive. Moving out here was really hanging on for dear life as the Lord put me in a place of aloneness for the first 2 years we were here. Talk about a dry and thirsty land! God is good and has brought me out of the drought and into the wetlands. See Isaiah 58:11 for what I am talking about God's restoration.

     
  • At 8:15 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Amen! God has redeemed my life from the pit many times!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home