Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Monday, October 16, 2006

About the book




OK, I think I'll start this with a book review and a book description, some of which will be repetitive.



From Publishers Weekly--

For years, "Dr. Nick" told his patients: "do as I say, not as I do." As a morbidly obese physician who cared for the poor, he was known as the big man with the big heart. Inside, however, he was dying.

He knew he needed to make a major change if he wanted to experience a long and happy life, free from humiliation and discomfort. But being more than 200 pounds overweight was a huge challenge.

That’s why Yphantides decided he had to get away from his normal life (and normal eating habits) and do something completely out of the ordinary. For eight months, he drove a Chevy conversion van across the United States, visiting every Major League baseball park while living off protein shakes and no-cal diet drinks alone. Yphantides, a huge baseball fan, saw this as the pilgrimage of a lifetime—and the only bearable way to make it months on end without eating any food.

This account of his soul-searching trip is glowingly inspirational, and the book’s "7 Pillars of Weight Loss" provide a fresh perspective to the turbulent, confusing world of dieting. Dieting alone will never keep the weight off, he argues. It’s an entire mindset—a way of life—that must be put into practice permanently.

Even without his formidable 467 pounds, Yphantides comes off as a big, loveable guy; he feels like a friend from the moment the book begins, and anyone who’s ever struggled with weight will relate to him immediately. His humble, honest story brings hope that losing weight is possible for anyone, even without risky major surgery or unsafe, appetite-suppressing drugs.


Book Description from Amazon.com--

As a medical doctor who has personally struggled with his weight, Dr. Nick Yphantides can empathize with the plight of the overweight and offer a proven, medically safe plan for losing weight. In My Big Fat Greek Diet, he teaches readers the powerful 7 Pillars of Weight Loss. His program features practical how-tos anyone can apply, whether they need to lose 10 or 300 pounds. Analyzing components of a variety of well-known diets, Dr. Nick assists readers in customizing a weight-loss program that will handle their specific needs and fit their lifestyles.


The son of a Greek immigrant, Dr. Nick was known in San Diego as a big man with a big heart. Topping out at 467 pounds, he was a thirty-something, larger-than-life advocate for the poor who seemed like a jolly fat man. But when a battle with cancer inspired him to focus on his own health, he embarked on a lifestyle change that would drop him to a svelte 200 pounds. His book will inspire and equip readers to design their own weight-loss program around an "odyssey" that makes their heart sing and allows them to experience their own weight-loss miracle!




Bloggerbuddies,

This morning I read and embraced Psalm 84:5, which says, "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage."


I have set my heart on pilgrimage, and I will not be denied!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM , Blogger Annette said...

    Wow - I want to read this - I haven't told you I am going to work for Weight Watchers soon - so, I'm really interested - I will be a group leader, so I need all the help to help people that I can! cool!

     
  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    I'm so shocked! I had no idea! You'll be great--you can even cook!

     
  • At 12:37 AM , Blogger Annette said...

    Huh - I don't cook anymore - and I love it - I do buy Donnie and I two Smart Ones per week and I'm like Spring - part rabbit - veggies and fruit I love - I hope I can be compassionate and patient with people. I have lost 20 pounds and I am now lifetime - I am proud of you for never giving up!!!!

     
  • At 8:07 AM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Actually I did give up for awhile, but I'm back in the race now.

     
  • At 11:28 AM , Blogger Annette said...

    Yea!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home