Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Spiritual Discipline of Prayer and Fasting


OK, I said yesterday that I’d tell you why I’m doing such a preposterous thing as talking about my fast. I had always thought you should do everything in your power NEVER to let people know when you are fasting, so I’m VERY uncomfortable doing this, but when this Q and A from Today’s Christian online magazine came to me, it seemed to be God’s direction and I’m AFRAID to disobey, although speaking about it is so humbling and scary that it makes me want to cry. Here’s what the article said:

Q: God has done some amazing things in my life as a result of fasting and prayer. I want to share with others what He has done and give Him the glory. But in the Gospel of Matthew, it says we're not to let others know when we fast. I never tell anyone—except my husband—when I'm actually on a fast. Is it okay to talk about it after the fact?
.
A: As you have discovered, fasting is a very important spiritual discipline. Both the Old Testament and the New Testament offer many examples of believers seeking God through fasting and prayer. In the verse you're referring to, Jesus says, "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. … But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father … and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Matt. 6:16-18). If you look at the context of this passage, you'll see that Jesus was rebuking the Pharisees for boasting about their spirituality—fasting for no other reason than to show how devout they were.
Jesus certainly wasn't forbidding teaching on fasting—or sharing your experiences with others for the purpose of testifying to the power of God and how you have seen Him work through this spiritual discipline in your life. (Think about it: The reason we know about fasting is because of the men and women in Scripture who shared their experiences!) Just make sure that your boast is in the Lord, that your motive is not to draw attention to yourself or impress people. One way to keep spiritual pride in check is to share honestly and openly about your failures, as well as your successes.
Remember that there's no one-size-fits-all formula when it comes to practicing the spiritual disciplines. What God chooses to do in your life through fasting may be different from what He chooses to do in another's life. Some things God speaks to your heart are just between you and Him. And some things are most definitely meant to be shared for the benefit of others.
Ask God to keep your heart and your motives pure. Seek His direction for how and when and what to share. Then give Him all the glory you can with your testimony of His life-changing power.

Then the first thing this morning, I got comfort from this in my daily Bible reading (I was a day behind, mentees!)--
“In a couple of days we’ll feel better,
By the third day he’ll have made us brand-new.
Alive and on our feet,
Fit to face him.
We’re ready to study God,
Eager for knowledge.
As sure as the sun breaks,
So sure is his daily arrival.
He comes as rain comes,
As spring rain refreshing the ground.”

So maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow, and maybe by the third day of "studying God," I'll feel brand-new and refreshed, and my fears will turn out to be unfounded. If not, I'll at least know I obeyed, and that's all that really matters. It could be worse--God used to make the prophets do all kinds of weird things, so comparatively, this isn't TOO bad. I really need a lot of God's peace, though.

My "lessons" actually began yesterday. A Coal Hill woman who sometimes comes to church called and said they (her husband is disabled) were out of food, which happens to poor people the end of the month. I was babysitting, but I said I'd bring her a few things this morning. Last night I was whining to God I didn't really want to do that because I wanted to spend the whole day with him, not get dressed and go somewhere. Well, guess what scripture passage immediately popped into my head? Isaiah 58 (this is from The Message)--This is the kind of fast day I’m after: to break the chains of injustice, get rid of the exploitation in the workplace, free the oppressed, cancel debts. What I’m interested in seeing you do is: sharing your food with the hungry, inviting the homeless poor into your homes, putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, being available to your own families. Do this and the lights will turn on, and your lives will turn around at once! Your righteousness will pave your way. The God of glory will secure your passage. Then when you pray, God will answer. You’ll call out for help and I’ll say, "Here, I am!" If you get rid of unfair practices, quit blaming victims, quit gossiping about other people’s sins; if you are generous with the hungry and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out, your lives will begin to glow in the darkness, your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight. I will always show you where to go. I’ll give you a full life in the emptiest of places – firm muscles, strong bones. You’ll be like a well-watered garden, a gurgling spring that never runs dry.

So I told Joe what I was going to do, and I went with his blessing. He just told me not to give them money, which I wouldn't have since I suspect drugs may be part of their problem. The guy told me he was going to come to church Sunday, but I'm not holding my breath. I mainly did it just for God and Angie. Angie came out and I hugged around on her the best she'd let me. Dang it, she's just 7, and she deserves better.

Back to Isaiah, I kept reading past chapter 58 and got some direction from Chapter 61, too! It said, and I've always LOVED this chapter since I memorized it (in the NIV) doing Beth Moore's study, Breaking Free--

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated...And you will be called priests of the LORD, you will be named ministers of our God. God used that passage to confirm to me that one of the focuses of my praying for the next three days is The Well. I need to pray for all aspects of our recovery ministry, and especially for Spring, who is the primary "minister of God" for it.

Another thing that keeps coming to my mind is that I'm entering a time of "voluntary weakness" for the purpose of praying for the renewed strength and health of 3 of my young mentees who have been experiencing various physical problems. God knows I am willing to take their pain on myself, if he chooses to let me carry it (he can do anything, you know!), but at the very least, I need to be fervently praying God's healing on them.

Hey, does all this make me sound like I'm some kind of a great pray--er? On the contrary, probably the only reason I have to fast and maybe you don't is because I'm such a BAD pray-er. But I've got a grandbaby coming in three weeks, and if I'm not prayerful I'll be fearful (childbirth scares me since Madeline). Ginger, I'm asking God to make it real smooth and as easy as possible, and for the necessary amnesia afterwards to REMEMBER it as smooth and easy! Also, my son is home alone for a change (his family has gone to South Carolina) and I want God to meet him in a special way in this rare time of quietness and loneliness. Jody emailed me this morning and said, "Things are good. I do feel blessed finally," so I think he has forgiven God for the loss of his daughter (yes, sometimes we have to forgive God!).

OK, now it's later in the day. What I'm learning today is that fasting isn't really about discipline, although we CALL fasting a spiritual discipline. What it's REALLY about is LOVE. Here's something Bob Sorge said (p. 173 in our "Secret Place" book)--"Oh, dear friend, are you established in the Father's love? As His word is open before you, and as you give your heart to him, let him begin to lavish upon you the infinite riches of his eternal love. He loves you with an everlasting love (Jer. 31:3)! He has literally killed himself to be one with you. His love is so breathtaking and intoxicating that when you are being filled with this love, the Scriptures testify that you are being filled with all the fulness of God himself (Eph. 3:16-19). (Remember that scripture from the IWI, mentees?) What a glorious adventure, to explore the magnificent recesses of the boundless love of Christ!

I think I've said enough for today. More tomorrow! Hey, email me more prayer requests. I've got lots of time--time absolutely CRAWLS when you're fasting!! I still feel funny about blogging this stuff, but if I'm judged for it, at least God knows my heart and that I just wanted to obey him. I can think of two possible negative things that could happen:

l. You might think I'm oh-so-spiritual when I'm not. My thoughts have been as scattered as buckshot today, which is probably why this is a 3-day fast. It might take me that long to get totally settled down and focused.

2. You might think I've succumbed to the deception of pride. Of course, even worrying that you might THINK that could be a perverse sign of pride, but I sincerely don't want to stumble anybody who comes to that conclusion. Believe me, I've never felt less proud. In fact, I can't for the LIFE of me figure out why God chooses to love me instead of just shooting me!!

This is the hardest blog entry I've ever written because I've written it through tears.When it's over, you get nothing but knock-knock jokes for a week!

I love you, bloggerbuddies! Don't judge me harshly OR put me on a pedestal, ok?

4 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    This is so good, Kathy, so good! It's such an adventure following God and I am honored to have a friend that really wants to do that! I will be praying for you, too. And for Jody and Ginger, too!

     
  • At 12:24 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Thanks, Annette! I love you, BFF!

     
  • At 1:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    btw - are you just doing a water fast? or juice? or veggies or what? I am going to pray and ask God to give me the strength to do a water fast for 3 days - if it happens, it will be a miracle!

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    That would be more challenging than what I'm doing. I'm drinking this protein powder stuff which takes the edge off my hunger.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home