Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Monday, July 31, 2006

Open Doors, Closed Doors

While we're on the subject of a "second calling," here's something F.B. Meyer said:

When you are unsure which course to take, totally submit your own judgment to that of the Spirit of God, asking Him to shut every door except the right one,

But meanwhile keep moving ahead and consider the absence of a direct indication from God to be the evidence of His will that you are on His path.

And as you continue down the long road, you will find that He has gone before you, locking doors you otherwise would have been inclined to enter.

Yet you can be sure that somewhere beyond the locked doors is one He has left unlocked.

And when you open it and walk through, you will find yourself face to face with a turn in the river of opportunity--one that is broader and deeper than anything you ever dared to imagine, even in your wildest dreams. So set sail on it, because it flows to the open sea.


I LOVE the imagery of this, but I''m not sure I agree with his idea of considering the absence of a direct indication from God to be evidence that you're on the right path.

Maybe it's ok to a point, but I think at some point you've gotta have a WORD!

What do the rest of you think?

6 Comments:

  • At 9:24 AM , Blogger Annette said...

    Well, that's what I am looking for - I am going on my journey, and plan on walking through any open door and trusting God to leave the right door open - HOWEVER - I am going to International House of Prayer next month and signing up to be prophesied over and I am expecting some kind of word from God. I think it really helps when the trouble or persecution comes. And it will. It helps me alot to rehearse those things God has told me clearly to do to hang on in the tough times.

     
  • At 2:14 PM , Blogger Me said...

    All I can say is that my life thus far is as a result of doors being opened wide & others being slammed shut. So far, it has been fairly easy for me to see the door as it swings in and out. One word of advice...don't let the door hit ya in the $%#@*&!

     
  • At 4:03 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Yeah, but Annette, you really believe that whoever gives you that word at IHOP will be speaking for God, and Mark, you have the gift of faith so you're probably never scared of open doors!

    OK, that's my counterpoint.

    However, I must admit that I didn't have a clear word when I took the Co-op job 11 years ago. All I had was a quotation, no kidding! It said "A boat is safe in the harbor, but that's not what boats are for" or something like that. It really spoke to me! Maybe that WAS my word!

    I guess sometimes you just have to walk to the edge of the cliff and then take one more step and trust God to catch you.

    I greatly admire how both of you trust God, which is why I consider you my two best friends!

     
  • At 4:37 PM , Blogger Annette said...

    Yea, I think that very well was your word. I am not trying to dictate to God how He gives me a word - But I am looking - actually, I am writing down all and any scripturs that refer to my future. Well, thanks for the encouragement. It is amazing to serve such a God that even wants to be followed and who wants to be my friend -

     
  • At 11:23 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    It has been my experience that (like a car with no power steering) we are easier to turn onto the right path when we are moving forward. I wholly trust that God will shut the doors I am to go past and unlock and open the doors which I am to go through. Were it not the case I would not be here in Arkansas. The only fear I have is closing a door myself, I try to leave that up to God to do the closing and be obedient to go through the open ones.

     
  • At 12:19 AM , Blogger KathyH said...

    I would be interested in hearing how God led you to leave Colorado and come here. My son did the opposite.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home