Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Monday, July 17, 2006

Worship

Just wanted to post some thoughts on worship...

Worship itself—like love—is difficult to define. In Scripture, it is shown (such as in Psalm 89:7 and Hebrews 13:15), but not explained.

"For many people, worship means singing in a church service or listening to an album, but it's so much more than that," says musician and author Michael Card, whose latest CD, A Fragile Stone, features a collection of what might be called "thinking man's" worship songs.

In his book Jesus Among Other Gods, theologian Ravi Zacharias writes, "Worship is a posture of life that takes as its primary purpose the understanding of what it really means to love and revere God."

"Music is merely an expression of what is already going on inside of your heart," says popular praise and worship artist Ron Kenoly. "Worship is a heart attitude before it is anything else, before it becomes translated as music."

"It's a lifestyle first," concurs Mac Powell. "We tend to think of worship as something we do, accompanied by music. But it's everything we do, because we're God's children. The music is only a part of that, a way to help take our minds off the pressures of daily living and turn our undivided attention heavenward."

In his Reflections on the Psalms, C.S. Lewis suggests our temporal worship should be considered only preparation for the eternal praise we will lavish upon God in heaven: "Meanwhile, of course, we are only tuning our instruments. The tuning up of the orchestra can be itself delightful, but only to those who can, in some measure, however little, anticipate the symphony."

With that image in mind—every worshiper like a member of a symphony, playing together for an audience of One—we can understand musician and worship leader Chris Tomlin's belief that worship music helps bridge denominational divides. "Conservatives and charismatics can stand in one room, listening to the same music, worshiping the one true God," he says. "Music unites."

It does that by turning all thoughts to one deserving person, the triune God. "That's where worship differs from other music, even other Christian music," says Smith. "Instead of drawing attention to the performer, it points only to God. Its direction is vertical, not horizontal. Instead of evoking thoughts of human friendship and love, it evokes the traits of God and praises him for those traits."

Risky business?
Worship in heaven will be perfect and pure; here on earth, we're still working out the glitches.

"I had more cautions about doing a worship album than anything else I've ever done," admits Smith. "I was afraid people would immediately think I was trying to jump on this worship bandwagon thing. It's one of the few times where I've woken up in the middle of the night and knew God had a word for me, and that word was, 'This is what I'm calling you to do.' So, of course, I did it."

Chris Tomlin's concerns lie with listeners. "We have to avoid worshiping the worship music instead of God, to whom it's directed," he says.

This is not a trivial—or new—issue. Even Augustine wrote that he feared music appealed to him strongly because of the aesthetic pleasure it afforded him rather than because of the sacredness of its words.

Tomlin's solution: "No matter how beautiful a song is, how catchy, we need to always remember that we're sending it up to God. Sending it with ourselves attached."

Twila Paris says, "I pray that more than ever God will lead each of us into a place of true worship," she says. "That we will encounter his presence and power and that his desire will be accomplished in us."

That is, after all, what worship is all about. And regardless of tempo, rhythm, or volume, it is precisely what God is looking for. Jesus said, "Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks" (John 4:23).

That some journalists have called the current resurgence in worship music a "fad" and a "trend" doesn't worry people like popular worship leader and recording artist Matt Redman. "To be honest, I find that quite funny," he says. "If it's a trend, then it's the only eternal trend there is! Worship is here to stay—throughout all time and eternity."

I regret that I can't credit the source for these thoughts. I have way too many online magazines and can't find the exact one I got this from. I hope I don't get sued...

"Conservatives and charismatics can stand in one room, listening to the same music, worshiping the one true God." "Music unites." That is so true! That's exactly what we experienced at the International Worship Institute. And I'll never forget singing in the mass choir with a wonderful diversity of races. My young African-American friend Andrea helped me by keeping her hand on my elbow so I could sway the right way as we sang, because I, unfortunately, have no rhythm. I can't wait to do it again next year! Maybe if I do it for the next 20 years, I'll get the hang of swaying! I'm praying that at least 15 people from our church will go next summer!It's just too incredible to miss!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:26 PM , Blogger laurajo said...

    I couldn't wait to get to church Sunday because I felt as though I was having withdrawals. And knowing that Beyond Walls was going to be leading worship only made the anticipation greater. Then, during LCBS in the Upper Room, I was asked to work the nursery. I was at first very disappointed and then realized that serving was probably a greater act of worship than going to service, singing, and listening to a sermon. So I did it, and I was blessed for having done so. I left there feeling very happy that I had spent that time with those kids.
    Worship is about God, not music. But for me, Music helps me to express myself in a more comfortable way. I have never been comfortable praying aloud in a group. Even teaching LCBS classes is very uncomfortable for me most of the time. But singing is the easiest way for me to express myself. And sometimes I can forget that anyone is around and just sing to God. That is a really great feeling.

     
  • At 11:22 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    I wondered where you were! I missed you! Glad God blessed you in serving.

    I just finished listening to the Podcast of Sunday's service. Are you getting those? It's so cool how they come automatically to my computer, and I really appreciate how Mark sends them so quickly--it's like magic!

    Come Thurs. at 6:00 and join my groupie friends and me, and you'll get to hear Beyond Walls. They're pretty phenomenal!

    Thanks for reading my blog!

    Really seriously think about coming to the IWI with us next year, ok?

     
  • At 12:01 AM , Blogger Annette said...

    Oh, my, Kathy - that was a great article about worship that you presented. I listened to a CD of Lamar Boshman today that said so much of the same things. I really loved singing in the choir, too. I really miss being at IWI and Lord, willing, I really want to go back. I am going to have to meet Laurajo - Love you and I am thinking of your birthday tomorrow!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    I agree that worship is truly an eternal trend. The really cool idea is that LauraJo nail it on the top when she said serving was probably a greater act of worship. AMEN SISTERS!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home