Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Plastic People

Stained Glass Masquerade
by Casting Crowns
Is there anyone that fails?
Is there anyone that falls?
Am I the only one in church today
feeling so small?
Cause when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong,
I know they'll soon discover
That I don't belong.
So I tuck it all away,
like everything's okay,
If I make them all believe it,
maybe I'll believe it too.
So with a painted grin
I play the part again,
So everyone will see me
the way that I see them.
Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples,
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain?
But if the invitation's open
To every heart that has been broken
On our stained glass masquerade.
Is there anyone who's been there
Are there any hands to raise
Am I the only one who's traded
In the altar for a stage.
The performance is convincing
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching
Can we really fall apart.
But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be.
Would your arms be open
Or would you walk away
Would the love of Jesus
Be enough to make you stay.
Here's something I read about this song on another blog (Church Tech Matters)--
It talks of worship not being a performance and what would it be like if we all let down our masks, our happy faces, and truly worshipped, to show our weaknesses and let others minister to us while we minister to others.
The line from the song that goes through my head more than I probably want to admit is this:
Are we happy plastic people under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness and smiles to hide our pain?
God is really working on me lately, taking me deeper in my relationship with Him.
It’s wild, I’m doing things I don’t normally do, like actually read and study the Bible.
The question that bounces around my head lately is ‘What is worship? What does it mean to worship?’ I am studying scripture and reading different things about it and it is fascinating.
I gave everyone their very own happy plastic person as a reminder of what we are not to be.
It’s cool because I can make my happy plastic person do all kinds of things:
stand up
sit down
bend over
raise his arms
wave
kick
turn his head
But he does nothing for me and he’s not choosing to do anything. I’m not feeling the love there. As far as us and God, we are here to worship God, not just go through the motions.
Another couple lines from the song:
But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be
That’s the question to ponder.

Wish I had time to make my own comments, but I don't tonight. Hope some of you will! What part made you stop and think? And what are you THINKING?
I love you, my bloggerbuddies! Tonja Peden plans to start blogging soon. I feel like we're really becoming a community, don't you?

6 Comments:

  • At 11:27 AM , Blogger Spring said...

    So I tuck it all away,
    like everything's okay,
    If I make them all believe it,
    maybe I'll believe it too.
    So with a painted grin
    I play the part again,
    So everyone will see me
    the way that I see them.

    That's the part that gets me. I could have written that myself a couple of years ago. All of this is just giving me the best ideas! Thanks!

     
  • At 12:10 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    I figured you'd relate to that as a songwriter.

    It's my story, too--in the past, thankfully. I'm pretty much right out there now. Of course, I choose my friends carefully. They have to let me be me!

     
  • At 9:13 PM , Blogger laurajo said...

    Everytime I listen to that song I think about how many people that I sit by in church really are the person described in that song. I have never been good at hiding or faking my feelings. I cant hide the real me. But I wish that everyone could be so open. We cant really get to know people who hide so much of themselves.

    I am glad to hear that Tonya is going to join us. I really think that blogging has united some of us in ways that wouldnt have happened otherwise.

     
  • At 9:14 PM , Blogger laurajo said...

    I also want to know why I can comment on everyones blog except Marks.

     
  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Yeah, Annette and I have had a lot of trouble getting on Mark's, too. I understand Spring can't get on either, so you aren't the only one. And there may be others!

    It just doesn't seem right that our founder and leader, without whom we wouldn't have even THOUGHT of having blogs, can't read all his messages!

     
  • At 12:00 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

    Don't we all "put on a happy face" when we go to church? Lots of people adhere to the Dale Carnegie way of thinking...I'm ok, you're ok...and don't want to here the REAL answer to the question "how are you". I want it known for the record in blog-land that when I ask...I really want to know how you are!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home