Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Dr. Nick on the subject of diets


OK, this isn't a pin-up picture, HONEST! I just wanted everyone to see what Dr. Nick Yphantides looks like now that he has lost 270 pounds.
He doesn't really promote any diet. He says:
LOSING WEIGHT IS NOT ABOUT THE FOOD. Eliminating certain foods or constantly depriving yourself of something you enjoy will cause more harm than good.
So I say, pick a diet. Any diet. Just do it and stick to it.
I limit certain carbohydrates and sugars. I stay away from sandwiches, pastas, rice, and potatoes because they have a high glycemic index.
Naturally, it's better to eat foods with a low glycemic index. This would be certain fruits, vegetales, salads, and whole wheat products. A book I enjoyed, Sugarbusters, provides a very detailed summary on this issue.
Fast food, cheap food, ill-prepared food, or canned food no longer tastes as good to me. What gets my mouth watering these days is what some people call the Mediterranean diet, which is built around seafood, olive oil, feta cheese, nuts, and vegetables.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM , Blogger Annette said...

    oooooooooooh - I like Mediterranean food!!! cool

     
  • At 12:14 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

    I have tried and tried to lose weight. I lost 22 pounds this last spring, but obviously it made no difference in my family. They all said they couldn't tell a difference. I mean, the lady at the gas station noticed more than my own family! anyway, I am ready to begin trying again - especially since 10 of those pounds have crept back on (ICK!) I will keep reading your story for inspiration. Thanks!

     
  • At 7:35 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Great! We can encourage each other!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home