Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Post from a Former Rainbow!


This is really interesting, bloggerbuddies! I don't have a CLUE how this girl found my blog post about the Rainbow Family, but she did! I decided to bump it up so everyone could read it.

Sisterivy said...

Wow, is all I can say. If anyone needs info, I mean real info, good and bad n Rainbow gathering, I would be the one to tell it right. I traveled with them for 4 years, started at age 15. I can tell you that from my opinion, you really don't know what it is like until you try it for yourself. Then, you might really hate it or like it, but at least you would have an educated opinion and not a world view of the situation.

I have since become educated here in Arkansas and work full time while raising a child. I can see both points of view on this since I have experienced both worlds. I can also say that they are probably the kindest people, yes I do agree with the misguided statement for some, but aren't we all misguided at one time in our lives?

It is a nice break from the everyday life, and I do plan on going and taking my family with me this week. There are all kinds of people there, and plenty of cool things to see and do. They were my family when I was 15 and didn't have a home. I stayed with them until I was of age to have a job (or 2) , and periodically went back, for that as all the life that I knew.

I just can not imagine what my life would be like without experiencing this for myself. I have met some of the most creative, positive, artistic, open minded people that are not not found in modern society. These people actually have minds and abilities that really are unique.

It is nice to see all kinds of cultures, and Rainbow really is a culture to me. I have studied other cultures in college, and traveled to third world countries, and still, Rainbow Gathering are pretty neat. If you want to see what it is like, you can see for yourself. And...if you do.....you MIGHT not be so scared about them and lock up the kiddos so much.

Miles of Smiles! Ivy

More info on www.myspace.com/megofarkI am compiling numerous news articles on my blogs.

Isn't that interesting?!
I can't help but wondering, where was the CHURCH when that 15-year-old needed a home?
I had a few more thoughts that I sent to a friend. I'll post them below--

I think I just stated facts, and I don't have bad feelings toward them.
The facts were:

(1.) I don't think we would want any of our vulnerable teenagers up there, because I know what Annette went through with her son. The particular group he met up with lived in a dump, didn't work, and mostly did drugs and had sex. That looked pretty good to a rebellious teenager for awhile!

(2.) The ones who live around Eureka Springs DO steal to support themselves (and their drug habits), and the law enforcement officers DO have to run them out of town every now and then.

(3.) They DO believe in collecting food stamps to live on, and usually don't hold regular jobs.

That said, there are good, bad, smart, stupid, moral and immoral people in any organization of that magnitude, I'm sure. Since it's so loosely-knit, the good ones really can't do anything about the bad ones who give them a bad name.

The problem is that a lot of Christians think that not working a regular job like THEY have is a sin, and that not having a regular home is a sin. I always love to remind people that Jesus was homeless and didn't work at a regular job either!


When I think of them, I think of Paul preaching to the Athenians and saying "You are religious. Now let me tell you about the UNKNOWN God." And then he preached Jesus!

They just need Jesus! He's the missing piece they're yearning for, I bet.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:40 AM , Blogger Stephanie Marshall said...

    Thats Very interesting! I am an open mined person and I try not to judge people (but, fact is we all do to a certain degree, its a human instinct) so, I can see where there would be very creative and cultural people in these groups. I love that we are all different.

    It's just that to not have structure in your life, like going to school and being educated, CHURCH, having a home and paying your own bills and taxes can lead to bad choices. If we all live like this with no responsibilites could you imagine the world! It would be crazy.
    We do have people in the world that live in there own cumminties like the Omish-But, they do not steal, live off the goverment and vandilize. They live by God's word everyday. We never have any problems with them.

    And she's right not all of these people live like this everyday and are BAD. But, to have the law infourcement have so much trouble with them I would venture to say there are more misguided "Rainbow People" than just social peace and lovin folks.

    It's okay to meet and share love and peace. That is why most of us go to church.

     
  • At 2:09 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Good point about structure. I certainly like structure! But is it a preference or a mandate? I don't know.

    I DO know that the Word says that whoever doesn't work shouldn't eat. Not that we follow those instructions in the U.S. Lots of people let the government feed them instead of working.

    Another thought--Is being poor bad? Joe was poor growing up, but his folks worked hard and were the salt of the earth.

    Some people feel sorry for all poor people because they don't have the "stuff" middle-class people have, but the truth is, a lot of them think we're WAY too UPTIGHT and schedule-driven--and they might be right!

    As for being open-minded, when someone says Christians are too narrow-minded, well, Jesus himself was pretty narrow-minded when he said "No one comes to the Father except by me," wasn't he?

    Just some random thoughts.

     
  • At 2:15 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Another bizzare thought I've been having--

    Paul said, "With food and clothing, I will be content."

    I remember a Bible teacher saying that we only really NEED food and clothing, not a house!

     
  • At 7:46 PM , Blogger Annette said...

    Interesting - I heard there were about 7000 of them - I'm like you, tho, I wish the church were more relevant and helpful to society. God help us!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home