Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My Speeding Ticket

Before I started commuting so far to work every day, I never paid much attention to those white road signs with numbers on them. I just kinda drove the speed I wanted to, and I had never gotten a ticket.

Well, not long after I started my job near Charleston, I got a speeding ticket going through Ozark. My kids laughed about it, because I was only going 37! But I was driving past the police station, and turns out the speed limit was 25!

From then on, every day when I drove through Ozark, I would feel angry at the WHOLE TOWN, especially the police force! It was destroying my peace, which I try very hard to maintain.

One day as I was driving, I heard on the radio that it was National Policemen's Day or something like that. J.J. Jasper said we should all do something to thank a policeman. I did NOT feel like thanking a policeman, but a scripture popped into my head, and I knew I had to act on it. The scripture said: "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

So I drove straight to the bakery section of the grocery near the police station and bought a big box of doughnuts (which I know fits the stereotype of policemen always eating doughnuts, but that was a coincidence--honest!). I wrote a general thank you note on the lid, took it in, placed it on the counter, and left. From that day on, I never had bad feelings toward Ozark, or toward another policeman in Ozark.


That scripture really works! If you give of your time to serve someone, or if you give of your finances to bless someone, it'll change your whole attitude toward the person/situation!

Yesterday Lisa and her girls and I drove through Ozark, and I heard myself telling her what a wonderful town Ozark was, and how I'll miss driving through it every day when I retire.

Just an example of how the Word of God helps me with my emotions. I really LIKE it that God made me an emotional person. I LIKE crying at parades and when they sing the National Anthem at football games and at VBS programs and weddings. But it's really nice that the Holy Spirit convicts me and helps me change my heart when my emotions are out of whack!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:53 PM , Blogger Me said...

    Do the word's "Annual Policeman's Ball" mean anything to you??

     
  • At 6:37 PM , Blogger laurajo said...

    I got my first ( and only ) speeding ticket in Ozark also. I was going 57 in a 45. But to tell you the truth, I was 19 and drove a Mustang so it was very lucky that I was only going 57.

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Hey, Laura, I'm glad we have that in common!

    T-Mark, WHAT? Do the words "Annual Policeman's Ball" mean anything to you?? No, and you'd better explain, because I'm thinking something a little off-color!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home