Kathy's Korner

RANDOM RAMBLINGS FROM A WOMAN PURSUING HER SECOND CALLING

Thursday, August 17, 2006

World Trade Center

Hmmm, I may have to watch World Trade Center, after all! CT at the Movies (Christianity Today's movie reviews) said this:

Oliver Stone, known for his political rants both stark and subtle, tones down the politics significantly in this film, opting instead for a truly human story of selflessness and heroism. And, somewhat surprisingly, Stone is faithful to faith, so to speak, as he liberally sprinkles the movie with Christian content, especially in one subplot involving a Marine who believes God has called him to help in the search for survivors. All in all, it makes for an inspiring and important film, even as it hearkens back to a day we sometimes might wish we could forget.

I was at a reading conference in Oklahoma once with a friend, and she wanted to go to the site of the Oklahoma City bombing. We walked through room after room of huge pictures of rubble, and sounds of the panicked voices, and artifacts like damaged eyeglasses and purses and shoes. I did ok until we got to the children's room. A whole day care center was on one of the floors, and all those small children got killed. It was soon after Madeline died, and I just couldn't take it. We left and went back to the hotel. The next day someone told us that if we'd stuck it out, the last room was called "The Room of Hope" and it had all kinds of inspiring stories. I guess most tragedies have stories of faith in there somewhere.


Ginger and I went to Ground Zero back in November, and I was astounded to see that big cross ("accidentally" formed by two steel beams) still standing! People have complained, but it's still there! In fact, it was the ONLY thing there except for some memorial signs on the fence. That was heartwarming!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:30 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    WOW! I have driven by the Alfred Murrah building several times since then bombing and have wondered about taking a tour, but decided against even stopping because I just can't put my brain around human depravity. I guess I would never have expected a bombing like that from a US Citizen. I would, however, like to visit ground zero because out of the rubble, there seems to be some hope. After 9/11 more people are spiritually tender than ever before. I think it would bring incredible hope to see a cross amidst the nonsense. Isn't that the way God works? In the middle of all the nonsense, He makes sense.

     
  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger KathyH said...

    Yes, the cross is incredible! In fact, that whole trip to NYC was incredible. With all the diversity of people there, I expected the Christmas sounds to be all about Santa and snow, but I heard true Christmas carols--the ones about Jesus--everywhere I went--in the stores on Fifth Avenue, at Rockefeller Center, everywhere!

    If you've driven by the sculpture/chairs outside the Murrah Building in Okla. City, you've seen the thing that hit me the hardest. They have a chair (lit at night) for every person who died, and they are in rows by what floor they were on. Then there is a row of LITTLE chairs to represent the children who died. I totally lost it there.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home